INDUSTRY NEWS: BET MJ TRIBUTE 2.0

I had plans of writing this posts sooner, but I figured I would get a fresh perspective on the tribute after discussing it on my radio show 'Love On Your Radio' on WPTS FM in Pittsburgh (stream live Tuesdays starting at 8 pm from ). Anyway, after varying points of views, I came to a conclusion about Chris Brown's tribute to the King of Pop, Michael Jackson.

All in all, I feel as though the tribute was done in bad taste on both BET and Chris Brown's part.

I feel as though Chris Brown's display of emotion at the awards was a publicity stunt. It was staged all too well with him crying during "Man in the Mirror" when he finally had to sing LIVE! (which is something he never does). His performances are like dance recitals more so than actually musical concerts if you ask me. Also, he decides cry during a song that has lyrical content related to the Rihanna situation? just too sketchy...

Don't get me wrong, the tribute visually was amazing... BET's creative department finally got something correct in terms of the visual. However, BET was wrong for trying to do a second tribute. In all honesty, the first tribute was not terrible in terms of the time BET had to prepare it. Nonetheless, I don't think it was appropriate to have a tribute with just one performer, just because that performer could not be apart of tributes last year.

Lastly, Janet should have been the last person to formally tribute her brother, and the entertainment community should have left it at that. Not only, the MJ tribute this year definitely affected the attention BET gave to Prince as the lifetime achievement winner. Therefore, If I were Stephen Hill I would have declined on a full blow MJ tribute.

I'm sure some will disagree, but that is just my take!

0 comments: